Looking for disposable gloves for you and your employees? Want to know the best options? In this article we will talk about the uses of disposable gloves and their advantages.
First of all you should know that in this sector there are two types of medical gloves: sterile gloves, for invasive procedures that serve to protect the patient from infections.
And then there are non-sterile examination and care gloves, which are primarily intended to protect the user from contact with infectious or hazardous material.
The requirements for medical gloves vary according to their functions. They must be tear-resistant, impervious to liquids and chemicals, conform exactly to the anatomy of the hand and have a high level of elasticity.
Ideally, they should not impair the wearer’s sense of touch or skin condition. Unfortunately, it has to be said that such a thing as an all-purpose glove does not exist.
The protective function and thus the possible area of application of medical gloves depends on several factors: the glove material, the substance to be protected, the respective activity of the wearer, i.e. the physical stress and the time of use.
Continue reading to find out all about the types of gloves and the benefits for your business.
Types of medical gloves
The following is a list of the materials used to make the most commonly consumed gloves in the healthcare market and other sectors:
Nitrile is a synthetic material made from petroleum. The nitrile glove is 100% free of latex proteins and is therefore very skin-friendly. Their main characteristics are:
- Particularly resistant to oils and greases.
- High protection against chemicals, solvents and viruses.
- Withstands high mechanical stress due to its high abrasion and stitch resistance.
- High flexibility and elasticity.
- Excellent wet and dry grip.
- Not suitable for working with ketones or strong organic solvents.
Disposable latex gloves
Latex is a natural raw material. It is extracted from rubber trees. Latex gloves stand out for their high elasticity and optimal fit. Their main characteristics are:
- Particularly good tactile sensitivity.
- Highly flexible material
- Resistant to non-aggressive chemicals (water, acids, alkalis).
- Latex can cause allergies
- Not suitable for working with lubricants and/or oils/greases.
Vinyl glove is made of plastic in its original form. Plasticizers are used in the manufacture of gloves. This gives the glove its elasticity, softness and flexibility. Their main characteristics are:
- Very economical.
- Very soft and comfortable surface.
- Latex protein free and therefore very skin friendly.
- In the food sector it is only recommended for non-fatty foods.
- Less elastic and puncture resistant than nitrile and latex.
- Less fit than nitrile or latex gloves.
Disposable polyethylene gloves
This versatile thermoplastic material has the following characteristics:
- Odorless and tasteless
- Very economical
- Environmentally friendly
- Only suitable for low-risk areas.
- Limited chemical resistance
Cotton fiber is obtained from fruits or seeds. The seed hairs are made into cotton yarn. It is often used in industrial safety. Their main characteristics are:
- Resistant to tearing when wet than dry.
- Washes very well
- Can be boiled and hot-ironed, which contributes to hygiene.
- Very soft and breathable
- Absorbs perspiration
- Will not matte or become electrostatically charged.
- Durable and non-slip
Neoprene disposable gloves
This material is similar to nitrile. A synthetic rubber material. Neoprene gloves are used especially in specialized areas such as chemical protection. Their main characteristics are:
- High elasticity.
- Protection against microorganisms
- High resistance to chemicals
- Comfort of use
Conditions for plastic gloves
A very important thing for the protection provided by medical gloves is their selection according to their suitability for use with different requirements.
The material properties of medical gloves, including their protective function, can be lost or at least seriously affected by the influence of a variety of factors. For example:
- When working with disinfectants. In these cases, chemically tested protective gloves should be used.
- If gloves are deliberately disinfected to avoid changing them. From a hygienic point of view, it is necessary to change gloves between different patients.
- If the disinfectability and density of a specific glove have been reproducibly tested.
- When your hands are still wet from the hand disinfectant. Then the alcoholic preparation cannot evaporate and burn-like symptoms may occur, which are often misinterpreted by staff as an allergic reaction.
- If the choice of gloves does not meet the requirements. For example, PVC gloves cannot be used if there are high demands for tear resistance and durability.
- If the storage is faulty. Light and heat trigger oxidation processes and reduce tear resistance.
- If skin protection or skin care products are used before putting on the gloves. Fats and oils can damage the glove.
You may be interested to read our article Canadian medical products: when are they necessary?
The use of disposable medical gloves is recommended whenever contact with blood, secretions or contaminated objects is likely. Hand disinfection should also be performed after removing gloves.
Gloves should be changed after each patient. However, it may also be necessary to change gloves between different activities on a patient, for example, if the dressing is to be changed after the urine bag has been emptied.
Gloves should always be worn during blood collection to avoid contact with blood.
In the case of a potential needle stick injury, the blood on the outer wall of the needle is scraped off the glove, which reduces the amount of infectious agent that can be inoculated.
After quality, your primary concern is price. We are aware of this and act accordingly. At Divocco Medical, we embrace the Lean philosophy. We continually improve our ordering process, which in turn saves you money.
You want to receive your orders quickly, so we make sure we are more efficient than our competitors. If an urgent need arises, we will ship your products directly to your door.
You want to trust your supplier. You can trust that we will deliver on our promises and work tirelessly to improve your customer experience. Visit our website for more information.